Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Faux Tin Bookcases

Close up of the finished "tin"!

Hello all, so this is my first official blog post - so excited!!  I thought I would start off by sharing a project I just recently completed.  When I started this project I was still kicking around the idea of starting my own blog so I didn't get pics of the before and during - but I have some of the after.  Honestly, there is probably a tutorial floating around Pinterest but I came up with this on my own after seeing a picture of a lovely bookcase with a tin back.  So cute and so expensive (the tin, that is.  This project cost me less than $100 for 2 bookcases)!

I have this formal living room area in the house we are renting and I had no clue what to do with it until I saw that bookcase.  So I visited Walmart.com, purchased some cheap bookcases (like
$35 cheap with free shipping 'cause that's how I roll) and assembled them leaving the cheap backing off.  Then I went to Lowe's, purchased some really thin board (I can't remember what it's called but it was about $8 per sheet and I bought 2) and some paintable wallpaper that looks like tin.

Lay your cheap backing on top of the thin board backing and trace around.  Now it's time for power tools - cut out your new back!

I primed my boards so the wallpaper would stick better.  Once the primer is cured, follow the instructions on your wallpaper for application and let it dry 24 hours.

Now that the wallpaper is dry and trimmed to fit on the board, now you have to start your faux finish.  This is where I wish I had pictures!  I knew I wanted a silver tin look.  So I mixed up some white latex paint with a little black craft paint to get a nice soft gray.  I rolled that over the wallpaper, making sure to get all the nooks.  I let this dry completely, at least 12 hours.

Now, put down a floor covering because the next part gets messy.  Pull back out your black craft paint, a cup or bowl filled with about a 1/2-1 cup of water.  Pour in a generous amount of paint (yes, into the water and mix it up - you want a soupy mix).  I used a big kinda rigid mop brush and scrubbed the watery black paint all over the wallpaper.  Work in sections because you want to apply and then gently wipe it off with an old towel or something.  The goal is to get the black paint in the nooks and wipe away just enough so the soft gray comes through on the raised parts of the wallpaper.  Less is more with this approach...if it's not dark enough, add more and wipe away with less pressure.

When you are satisfied with the look - let it dry completly.  It should resemble old tin!  Pretty cool, huh?  I had some light silver craft paint so I used a dry brush technique and applied a little bit  over the backs so they would have a subtle shimmer.


My "styled" shelves.  I'm glad I am finally able to pull my blue bottles out of storage and display them here.  They were  a gift from my MIL.

 You could do this with bronze and copper colors too.  I actually think any color would look good with this wallpaper - just remember to start with the lighter color as you base and then come back to antique with your darker (watered down) color.  Maybe I'll try again on a shelf I have planned for my daughter's room?  Hmmm...

Now go make yourself a margarita for a job well done and thanks for checking out the first DIY post!


Couch is from the hubster's old "man cave" but still good and pretty comfy.  I have to hang up my HUGE map of Baltimore harbor.  But I think the bookcases frame everything nicely.  I'm thinking about adding some crown molding too!


2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! What a fantastic idea.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the wallpaper and the bookcase. May be a project I could try. Love it!

    ReplyDelete